Monday, April 22, 2013

Baby inspirations

Cutting out back of burp cloth
I have been inspired by my own pregnancy to start making baby items. The first thing I made was a receiving blanket and then moved on to the matching burp cloths and next I will try to tackle the bib. With a neat little trick my mom taught me, I found the receiving blankets to be very easy to conquor; if you would like a tutorial let me know and I can put one together. Now for the burp cloth. I personally thought this would have been the simple one for me, but me and my big ideas decided it would be a good idea to put a diaper liner inside the burp cloth because who doesn't want more absorbency when it comes to a burp cloth, right. So I started with the diaper insert since that is where I got the idea of adding a burp cloth to my blanket set. I used Kushies 
Pin both sides right side together
washable diaper liners to make my pattern. Using light weight interfacing, but newspaper works just as well; place the diaper liner on the interfacing. Using a ruler add three inches around the diaper liner to get your pattern. Once my pattern was ready I used it to cut a front piece and back piece to match the receiving blanket. Pin both pieces together wrong sides faced out to begin the outside seam, be sure to leave a gap large enough to insert the diaper liner. Once you stitch the edge, turn the cloth inside out so your pattern side is now on the outside. I find pressing the edges at this point helpful. Insert the diaper liner
Diaper liner should be inside
and center between both sides. On the photo to the left you can see the diaper liner on top of the cloth, just imagine it between the burp cloth layers like a diaper liner sandwich. If you prefer not to put the diaper liner feel free to leave it out, I just added it for extra padding and absorption. At this point you can stitch the outside seam. Starting at the opening you left to turn it right side out, top stitch to seal and continue around until you meet back up to the beginning. Once you do the outer edge, top stitch the diaper liner in place. I find by feeling the edge of the diaper liner you can line it up as you stitch over it, just make sure to leave enough of a hem to hold it in place, you wouldn't want it balling up in there after the first wash. Which I imagine would happen if you don't stitch it down. If you have trouble finding the
Top stitch edge and liner
edge as you sew try pressing the cloth with the iron to get an idea of the edge of the diaper liner edge, or you can use a washable pen, just be sure to do a test wash to make sure the pen comes out. Once you finish your top stitch you have completed your burp cloth. If you are just starting out you can try leaving out the diaper liner and just use multiple layers of flannel to add absorbancy or cut a rectangle cloth to avoid rounded edges. These make great baby shower gifts, you can pair it with a homemade receiving blanket, customize it to go with any theme the new parents to be have, plus who doesn't like a home made present. I hope you have as much fun making these as I do.  I would love to hear your story on making your own baby blankets and burp cloths. Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment