Thursday, May 22, 2014

Happy Birthday! Now make a cake

I know it's been awhile since I posted, who knew one little baby would take up so much time lol. So this month was my goddaughters birthday and as her fairy godmother I have the privilege of giving her what she asks for. Luckily she's pretty easy to please and since she is such a beautiful young lady I am happy to give her what she asks for (maybe I'm slightly bias).Well she asked for me to make her birthday cake, but not just any cake one she saw on Pinterest only a little different. I hate to let her down but I have no formal training in decorating cakes much less making multi tier cakes but hey there's always a first time for everything. I guess it's a good time to come out of retirement so I set out to make her birthday cake. 
I at least had the forethought to start a couple days ahead of time. I baked the cakes Wednesday night after my baby and husband fell asleep because there is no way I can get it done while they are awake.  I split my cakes to put the filling and placed them back in the fridge. Then I watched a few YouTube videos on decorating cakes, after watching just enough to build my confidence I set out on decorating, but first a nap. 


The next day I made my buttercream frosting, I'm starting small as in I started with the smallest tier first. This one was to be covered in white fondant with a ribbon and jewels on the bottom. Hey this fondant stuff is not too hard, it only took me two tries to get it right. Then I made the middle tier, this time I dyed the fondant to match her birthday colors, this I just guessed at since I realized I hadn't seen anyone do this but I've watched enough Cupcake Wars to be an expert, right. The blue turned out just right but I did have a little trouble with my fondant, luckily for me there was a band with pearl beads to cover up my little mistake. With so much going good and a few hours later I decide to attempt the bottom layer. This one was to be covered in buttercream frosting using the messy ruffle technique. It took me a bit of practice and at least three times of scraping the cake to start over but in the end it actually looks pretty good. Now that I had all three layers complete came the challenge of getting the cake to the party who knew that cakes were so heavy. 


 
Yay! It's Friday the day of the party and not only do I have to get this cake to the party but I have to get me and my baby dressed and ready for roller skating! Yes that's right we are going roller skating. I want to say it was harder getting us into the car, mind you I live on the second floor so carrying a cake and a baby was not that easy but I put on my mommy cape and made it happen, my little guy didn't even get a chance to touch the buttercream, gold star for mommy. So are you ready to see the final result...


Hey, pretty good for my first big cake. Now I'm inspired to make another and wouldn't you know my sons first birthday is around the corner. I'm thinking of going big like a topsy turvy carnival cake. Wish me luck. 
Happy crafting,
- Teresa


No comments:

Post a Comment